Sprouted Buckwheat Courgette Bread
I developed this recipe for Planet Organic using their sprouted-buckwheat flour. Not only is buckwheat flour gluten free but when you ‘activate’ or sprout the grain, enzymes are released which break down anti-nutrients and make the bread more nutritious and digestible.
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups courgette (grated)
- 1 ripe banana (mashed)
- 2 cups of Planet Organic Sprouted Buckwheat Flour
- 1/2 cup of chopped activated walnuts (plus extra for decoration)
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarb soda (aluminium free)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 chopped dates (plus extra for decoration)
- Optional: Nut Butter to serve
First, make the ‘chia egg’ by covering chia seeds with 9 tablespoons of filtered water in a small bowl, then leave to thicken in the fridge for 15 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 170C/gas 3. Line a loaf tin with unbleached parchment paper. Whisk the ‘chia eggs,’ honey, oil, courgette and banana together. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour into the loaf tin and bake for 45-60 minutes. Test by inserting a skewer into the loaf, if it comes out clean, then it’s done!
Top with chopped dates and walnuts and serve with sprouted nut butter – or whatever you fancy.