There’s something about Dairy

Sales of non-dairy milks are soaring. While many people find their digestive complaints clear up after switching to almond milk, there are other reasons you might want to consider cutting out dairy.

In the process of writing my book Mum’s Not Having Chemo I came across research showing strong links to cancer.

Cancer, a Western Disease?

The countries with the highest rates of cancer may provide a clue to the dairy-link. Denmark, France, Australia, Belgium and Norway (in that order) have the highest rates of cancer according to 2012 figures. They also happen to be countries who love their milk, cream and cheese, Japan, on the other hand, comes right down the bottom of the list; it’s a country for whom dairy didn’t exist until recent decades.

So why are dairy products such bad news for cancer?

Mostly, it’s due to the huge amount of hormones and growth factors they contain – more specifically, insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1).

IGF-1 naturally circulates in the human blood. During puberty, IGF-1 stimulates the growth of breasts and it’s also present in human breast milk – it’s part of nature’s formula to ensure the growth of a newborn.

But as we get older our IGF-1 levels naturally drop off, unless we consume large amounts of dairy…

In 1998 an American and Canadian research team found that among premenopausal women, those with the highest IGF-1 concentration in their blood had almost three times the risk of developing breast cancer – among women younger than 50, the risk was increased seven times.

Several other studies have linked increased dairy and IGF-1 with prostate cancer and ovarian cancer too.

Of course there are other reasons modern dairy is a massive concern.

According to the PETA website, the majority of cows raised by the dairy industry are intensely confined and  ‘treated like milk-producing machines and are genetically manipulated and pumped full of antibiotics and hormones that cause them to produce more milk.’

So should you swap diary for soya milk? Read on…

For centuries the Chinese and Japanese have produced their soy products – like tempeh, tamari and miso– through natural fermentation processes.

These FERMENTED soy products can lower cholesterol, alkalinize the blood and produce anti-carcinogenic activity.

Natto, in particular, is known as a potent blood thinner.

Soy milk, however, is not fermented. In fact, it’s usually ‘Franken-soy’ we’re eating according to Dr Al Sears. In other words, it usually comes from Genetically Modified Monsanto soy beans (a whole other story).

Modern research has also suggested that non-fermented soy can depress thyroid function, cause reproductive problems (in men and women) increase heart disease and cancer risk and loss of libido.

The soy in processed food has also often been cooked in a petroleum-based hexane solvent, bleached and ‘deodorized’ (to remove the solvent and soy’s ghastly smell).

Thinking twice about your soy latte?

The Alternative

Oat milk is not a bad option, since it contains literally oats, water and celtic sea salt – and tastes quite nice with porridge.

My personal favourite is almond milk and it’s so easy to make your own:

What you need

Muslin cloth or Nut milk bag

1 cup of almonds

1 litre of water

Blender

Directions

Soak the almonds overnight in a bowl of filtered water.

Rinse the almonds then place in a high speed blender with one litre of fresh filtered water. Blend until smooth (this usually takes about one and a half minutes). Strain the contents through the muslin cloth or nut milk bag.

Spiced chia pudding with cinnamon, raw cacao, @rudehealth almond milk plus bee pollen and boabab from the @mannasuperfood starter set. Yum. #chia #chiapudding #mannasuperfood #organic #almondmilk #hbloggersuk #homemade #vegan #dairyfree #instahealth

Almond milk chia pudding anyone?

17 Responses to There’s something about Dairy

1. Rose Dempsey says:

Thanks for your info on milk. I was bought up on unpasteurised milk as we had 2 cows.
    My kinesiologist Denise has said to give up all dairy as it is not good for you.
    I can do without my coffee and have herbal tea instead but I love cheese and yoghurt…
    Rose

2. Marie says:

Love reading your updates – they are very well set out and full of info with all the relevant facts and links.
    I have been off dairy for about 30 years. Most people are affected by dairy in some way but either don’t realise it or are willing to live with the symptoms. For me, it was itchy eyes, phlegmy chest and runny nose to the extent where I had to carry a large box of tissue with me ALL the time (kind of like a second handbag!) Once I stopped dairy and got it out of my system I ditched the tissues. On the odd occasion that I have ice cream (I’m human) I know I’ll have to suffer the consequences…..
    Keep up the good work informing people about health.

3. Eka Eiff says:

Thanks for the article, Laura. It touches on one of my dilemas. I’ve heard it so many times: dairy is no food for grown-up people. But then there is also the Budwig diet, where it is adviced to eat 1 cup of quark mixed with 6 tablespoons of flaxseedoil everyday, to flood cells with electron rich foods. Other dairy foods are not recommended in the diet. I have taken on having this mixture for my smoko and it’s such a treat to eat something else then veggies. But in the back of my mind the no-dairy tapes still plays.
    Do you have any comments on this.
    Thanks for all your fantastic work, very much valued and appreciated.
    Eka

Hi Eka – thanks for your feedback. I was wondering when someone was going to mention the Budwig diet! It’s so confusing isn’t it. Mum was following the Budwig protocol for a few months but has now stopped. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence about the awesome benefits of the the diet… but also a lot of conflicting evidence about Flaxseed oil and cottage cheese. I’m certainly no expert on the subject, and I think, ultimately, it comes down to whether it makes your body feel good and, in the case of cancer, whether you’re seeing results. Would anyone else care to weigh in on this subject?

4. Janet says:

Thanks for raising, and answering, questions on your blog that seem to meet me where I am on any given week. I have long not included dairy in my diet- though milk chocolate is a caveat to that. But it’s the controversy surrounding soy that has confused me to the point where i just get stuck sometimes. It seems like a no-brainer that milk which is designed to make calves grow big, with all manner of chemicals thrown into the mix just cannot ever be regarded as a healthy food. Regarding soy milk, my naturopath recommends the ‘Bonsoy’ brand as being healthful, and says that organic tempeh and tofu, which are generally made from non-g.m.o. beans are all good.

5. Jenn says:

First, I would like to thank you and your family for going thru this experience with your mother and sharing it with the world. I lost my mother in May to cancer and my time to research and learn how to help her was very limited. I know now chemo and radiation should not have even been options for her, yet these were the only ones offered. Your website is addressing so many things that are extremely important in cancer treatment and recovery. My question about milk does pertain to a few things. I do agree that milk (any product) is meant for newborns and growth. At some point we as humans are probably supposed to ween our children off of milk as a animal would its babies. Also coming from 3rd generation cancer (mom, grandmother, great grandmother) all on maternal side, do you feel there might be blood type considerations as well? In my research I have found ‘Eat Right For Your Blood Type Diet’ to be very accurate and functional to most alternative cancer diets. Which could explain why Budwig diet might work for some (B type I believe). Also, have you any reference to rice or almond milks? Or is this just defeating the purpose to be dairy free? I do not have cancer but with my family history I am aware how much my diet will influence my chances to fight and survive it in the future. Once again thank you for your amazing blog, you are saving countless lives. All my thoughts are with your mom and your family during this fight.

Dear Jenn, thank you for taking the time to read my blog and get in touch. I’m so sorry to hear about your Mum. No doubt you’re still very much grieving and my heart ( and Mum’s) really goes out to you.

Thank you for bringing up the point about blood-types. For years Mum was really interested in the idea of the blood-type-diet, but more recently she’s been reading up on metabolic typing – which is based on the strengths and weaknesses of a person’s autonomic nervous system. I’ll be writing a blog about this soon!

As for rice milk and almond milk – I had rice milk with my breakfast for years… until I realised that it was enriched with canola oil and thought better of it! A quick look at the list of ingredients on the back of the carton should tell you all you need to know – I’m sure some brands are much better than others.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment Jenn and stay in touch.

6. Suzanne says:

Laura, thank you and Gemma for sharing so much of your experiences and learning – i really appreciate it! I feel much more positive and empowered in my recovery after reading your posts… ! i find the language around cancer treatment to be incredibly negative and your writing is like fresh air – thank you so much.

7. Cass says:

Hi Laura,
    We’ve never met but I’m your second cousin, mum came over and used your mum’s infrared sauna the other day, loved it! I just wanted to tell you how much I’m enjoying your blog (and mum too) I started reading it this week and have already read all the entries and got some friends onto it too! I think it’s really important work that you’re doing, my mum was saying the other day that when she first got sick she found it really hard to find out about alternative treatments, so I’m hoping your blog is a sign of changing times, it’s certainly very insightful. Love to you and your family and keep up the good work!

Thank you Cass! I’m so glad to hear that your Mum came around for a sauna – and it means a lot that she likes the blog, she is one very strong woman. Thank you for spreading the word! Lots of love x

8. Eka Eiff says:

Back to the coffees, my naturopath told me that the bad effects of milk are eliminated by the coffee, so a cappucino or two a day wouldn’t harm, she said. I have started to find it too milky and am enjoying my long black with a slice of lemon now, very fitting for the hot weather.

9. I think you are absolutely brilliant!!! Thank you for finding me on Twitter so now I can follow your journey and retweet your messages. Be Brave and Fight Like A Girl !
    1:26 min overview

Cherie B. Mathews, Austin, TX

10. kelly says:

GREAT INFO there! I’ve heard of Swiss Blue Cheese (fermented from milk) doing wonders to kill cancer cells. May be it should be explored further. Cutting down on meat and milk greatly reduced my acne and now I am a vegan.

11. Deborah Wood says:

Hello, as an Immunologist with great positivesfrom patients, including myself, from I believe, the Budwig diet & also NO processed meats & NO Sugar ! & NO Dairy which I do call the NO-NO diet do agree with the above posts, personally and Scientific
    Reports, the good question re: Cottage cheese is dairy and why in the Budwig, is due to the high Proton charge delivered from the exceedingly important Flaxseed oil renders it in a non Dairy state, hence it is actually good for you BUT only due to the exact mix of
    Flax to Cottage cheese – scientific perspective and proof now for over 50+ years of this Diet and being or going Vegetarian also aids the cause.
    I am nit aware of the Bonsoy brand of soy, but I do include a small portion of
    Soy (I’ll research Bonsoy) but Vitasoy Rice does not have Csnola oil !! So brand of choice and as I’ve read always check ingrdients as they DO change not for the better always:)
    Thanks for tge Blog and let’s keep us all in front of $$ power when it comes to our Health:)

I trust this has been helpful for you and others staying or getting back to the ‘Health road:)
    Kind regards
    Deborah W

12. Sue Le Blond says:

I found all this fascinating. I had breast cancer and a mastectomy in ’03, but refused chemo, despite strong pressure from the oncology team at the Royal United Hospital in Bath. I went instead to the Bristol Cancer Help Centre, where I read Jane Plant and gave up all cow’s milk to use goat’s milk products. What is the scene re goat products and the hormones they use? Also, I like Rice Dream as a milk substitute, but is that lower in calcium? I have been amazed at how little interest the breast care and oncology teams show in self help and patient research. It’s such a pig- headed ‘doctor knows best ‘ approach, and yet you’re accused of being arrogant if you have your own ideas. I have had from 03 until 2010 free from all cancer, but an MRI scan in Nov 2010 picked up the fact I had ‘extensive metasases in my bones’, (their words), and that was why I was getting back pain. I felt for a time that I had been arrogant in refusing chemo long ago and that my days were now numbered. But right now, coming out of a spell of depression, I feel stronger and that it’s worth the fight to stay alive. The bone cancer isn’t progressing quickly and they only want to see me every six months. I feel more confident now 14 months after this devastating second diagnosis to refuse chemo again, as I agree it’s poison. We all need to believe in these harsh treatments we are being given.Thank you for you brave and truthful campaign. I am a writer and have kept diaries and personal accounts of all this battle royal I’ve had and if I can help in any way , please ask. Best wishes – Sue Le Blond, Wilts.

13. Sandra says:

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was
    great. I do not know who you are but definitely you’re going to a famous blogger if you are not already 😉 Cheers!

14. Jane Helder says:

Dear Jane,

I have read your book and changed my life. My cancer was not in my lymph nodes, the healthy tissue removed from around the cancer was clear and the test to see if it were an agressive cancer showed it to be low grade. Now they want to give me radiation and the tablets which put on weight. I have underactive thyroid and I have struggled this year to lose nearly 2 stone and I do not want to put weight on again and anyway I understand that body fat holds on to oestregen so it sounds self defeating. Was your cancer oestregen fed? Mine is so that is why they want me to take the tablets. Also why do people take them for 5 years? I was on hrt and also my doctor made a mistake when I was 47 and gave me hrt for 3 years without bloodtesting me when in fact my thyroid had gone down so I didnt get the thyroxine that I did need. Help!
    Jane H.