Almond milk anyone?

I’ve been getting a lot done lately, burning through a to-do list that’s been gathering dust for the last nine months – the hole in the ceiling, the unpaid service charge, the sneakers I haven’t worn since spilling soup on them last winter – have all been attended to.

Thanks to this recent period of industry, a lot of people have been coming through my door and, each time, I forget that I haven’t got any milk in the fridge.

“Are you OK with almond milk in your tea?” I ask wincing. “I’m sorry, it’s all I’ve got.”

Both the accountant and builder finished their mug without gagging and I like to think they weren’t just being good sports. I may not have converted them to ‘dairy free’, but perhaps I planted a seed?

It is no exaggeration to say that giving up dairy is one of the hardest things to do.

Milk and other dairy products contain morphine like substances, making them irresistibly tasty:

‘Dairy cheeses are a hard habit to break due to the opiate receptors they activate in our brains,’ says oncologist Dr. Thomas Lodi.

But why would you want to ditch dairy? You might well ask.

Doesn’t it help build strong bones? Don’t you need it for calcium?

The best way to answer that question, is to look to the East.

For thousands of years the Chinese and Japanese have got by without so much as a quenelle of cream and they don’t have a higher incidence of osteoporosis or fractures.

Instead they meet their calcium needs through a plant-based diet including nuts and seeds (especially sesame seeds), green vegetables and seaweed. In fact, some types of seaweed have more calcium than cheese.

But perhaps the more profound lesson we can take from looking at population studies is the very low incidence of certain cancers in Asian countries.

According to 2008 figures (which you can view here) the incidence of breast cancer for women in:

China is 21.6 for every 100,000,

America the rate is 76

Australia it’s 84.8

UK it’s 89.1

and shockingly, in France – a country famous for it’s love affair with butter and cream – it’s 99.7.

These differences cannot be explained away by genetics, since migrational studies demonstrate that when Chinese or Japanese people move to the West the rates of breast (and prostate) cancer go up.

British scientists, Professor Jane Plant shared this information with me over a year ago, when I interviewed her for a previous post.

In 2003, Plant, caused a media sensation with the release of her book Your Life in Your Hands. After being diagnosed with breast cancer Plant underwent conventional treatment including a radical mastectomy, 35 radiotherapy treatments and twelve sessions of chemotherapy  – after which, she was told she had months to live.

It was only when she decided to give up dairy that she turned her situation around. She has now been cancer free for 25 years.

In the process of writing my own book, I have heard from countless survivors who swear, up and down, that giving up dairy was the missing piece in their healing puzzle.

Indeed, many experts agree that by making this important dietary change you are giving yourself the best chance of recovery.

‘In my view anyone with cancer should give up dairy completely,’ says Dr. Patrick Kingsley, author of The New Medicine. Now retired, Dr. Kingsley treated thousands of patients at his clinic in Leicestershire, often with great success.

Making the switch

Alternative ‘milk’s – once rare as hen’s teeth – now have their own dedicated supermarket aisles. Hemp milk, rice milk, quinoa milk… the choices are endless and the health benefits manifold.

According to Christine O Brien, editor of the monthly newsletter Nutrition & Healing almond milk, a personal favourite, is ‘absolutely packed’ with nutrients:  ‘It’s high in both protein and omega fatty acids, it’s high in iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium and zinc, as well as the antioxidants vitamin A and vitamin E. All this without any cholesterol or saturated fat.’

Inspired by vegetarian chef and co-author of Honestly Healthy, Natasha Corrett, I decided to start making my own almond milk last year.

To my surprise I found the homemade milk not only tasted creamier than store bought alternatives, but it also seemed to blend more easily with hot drinks. I soon stopped feeling any kind of pangs for my morning latte and over the last twelve months I have given up dairy (almost) entirely.

For her part, Mum has finally got used to drinking oolong tea; she has perfected her olive oil mash and now cooks a lot more Indian than Italian food. ‘ It means I’m eating a lot more immune boosting spices like turmeric, galangal, ginger and coriander,’ she says.

Making your own almond milk

What you need:

Muslin cloth or Nut milk bag

1 cup of almonds

1 litre of water

Blender

Directions:

Soak the almonds overnight in a bowl of filtered water.

Rinse the almonds then place in a high speed blender with one litre of fresh filtered water. Blend until smooth (this usually takes about one and a half minutes). Strain the contents through the muslin cloth or nut milk bag.

13 Responses to Almond milk anyone?

1. Sharon Devi says:

I have read here and there about the link between dairy consumption and cancer. However, I often wondered whether these research were done using the consumption of the normal pasteurized & homogenized “supermarket” milk.

I’ve read articles about the important nutrients, vitamins & minerals that are being delivered by raw milk, specifically: grass-fed, organic, raw milk – un-pasteurized & un-homogenized.

I wonder whether Prof Janet Plant had been taking the supermarket “white liquid” (as Dr Mercola would call it) all along. Had she been taking organic grass-fed raw-milk, would the result be the same?

For those who are interested, here is an article from Dr Mercola: “Choosing Between Raw Milk and a Dead, White Liquid” – http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/11/12/Choosing-Between-Raw-Milk-and-a-Dead-White-Liquid.aspx

Laura, what are your thoughts on this matter? When you interviewed Prof Plant was this issue of “raw-milk” vs “supermarket” (pasteurized / homogenized) milk clarified?

Hi Sharon, thank you for bringing up this important point – I didn’t feel I had the room to go into it on the post.

In it’s natural raw state milk has manifold benefits – it contains disease-fighting antibodies and fat-soluble vitamins A, D and E that pasteurization alters by up to 66 per cent. Before switching to dairy free I used to pick up fresh milk from my farmers market down the road. It’s also a good source of glutathione which is an anti-cancer hero: http://www.mumsnothavingchemo.com/2011/08/glutathione-a-bullet-proof-vest/

However, while raw milk may be very beneficial for some people, for those who have had cancer there is the issue of the hormone IGF-1 to consider. I have quizzed many experts on this topic and their answer is that ALL milk from mammals contains IGF-1 – which is a known cancer cell growth promoter. Thanks again for taking the time to write, Sharon!

• Sharon Devi says:

Thanks, Laura for the clarification. I wasn’t aware of the hormone IGF-1. Something for me to look further into. Thank you for ‘educating’ us 🙂

2. Tessa says:

I have just made my first batch of almond milk. The truth will be in the telling for my morning cuppa. To date the only bit of dairy I have every day is that cuppa. Old habits die hard. I have used coconut milk mostly but that morning cuppa just doesn’t taste the same without the cows tit. Looking forward to the change.

3. Judith says:

If you have a battery-operated milk-frother you will find that almond milk will froth up beautifully and hold its foam a lot longer than milk. It makes gorgeous cappuccinos and lattes. I’ve started drinking unsweetened almond milk and when I recently had real milk in a latte I was shocked how sweet milk actually is. It has twice as much sugar as “original” soy or almond milk and 14 g more than unsweetened. Who knew?

4. Hormones and chemicals in cow’s milk, designed to provoke the rapid early growth of infant cattle, she discovered, include insulin growth factor IGF-1, which causes cells to divide and reproduce – exactly the mechanism that occurs when tumours develop. There were small but significant studies proving the role of IGF-1 in the development of cancer – for instance, showing that pre-menopausal women with high levels of IGF-1 have a higher than average risk of breast cancer, as do dairy-eating vegetarians.

5. jclivenz says:

Glad the distinction has been made between raw and pasteurized notwithstanding concerns real or otherwise about IGF1. Bear in mind the Budwig protocol uses quark (young cheese) and flaxseed oil. The Japanese have a higher intake of iodine than most other cultures and iodine is thought to be protective of breast tissue. http://www.health-science-spirit.com/iodine.html

6. Bobby Perez says:

“If you want to reduce your risk of breast (or prostate) cancer, become a vegan, but on no account become a dairy-eating vegetarian. If any anticancer diet includes any kind of dairy products, ignore it,” Plant said.

7. Jane’s personal story, and her own battle against breast cancer, is one part of this important and ground-breaking book. The hundreds of scientific papers she has consulted and referenced, backing up her analysis of the benefits of giving up dairy produce, are another. Perhaps the strongest testimony to her achievement comes from the hundreds of letters and e mails she has received thanking her for producing her message of hope.

8. frank says:

A healthy body can take bad foods eaten in moderate amounts and expel the bad metabolites. Nobody says to drink a potful of milk at a time. On the other hand, the pasteurizing of the milk, and the hormonal shots given cows to make more milk – both of those have disastrous effects, the first because it destroys the wonderful enzymes in milk, and the latter because it increases toxicity upon ingestion of them, let alone the added pus cells the cows accumulate therefrom in their utters.

God created cows to provide us with a little good milk, cheese, butter and even cheese cake. The cow also is a great source of fine beef, if eaten in small amounts. The problem is the cows eat garbage and are pumped with poisons.

9. Pingback: Defeating Cancer on the Cheap | Mum's Not Having Chemo

10. Jackie Leitch says:

Dear Laura,

Thank you so much for your inspiring writing. I agree with the while milk discussion, or at the very least ( due to my scientific ignorance) am happy yo find othervsources of protein, calcium etc…. From nuts, seaweed, beans, pulses, salmon etc…

did you mention on another blog that your mum was on the budwig protocol? With this protocol, which looks amazing, is a question which keeps rearing its head is ( as i have Ovarian cancer) and keen to ininvestitage the budwig diet as an option – what about the dairy ( igf -1)? and what about the controversy regarding flax seeds and stimalating estrogen? ( whether or not its an estrogen related cancer).

Based on your research, I noticed you mentioned that one Dr had mentioned that by mixing the flax oil with the dairy it nulified the dairy properties, how? Does that mean no more IGF -1?

I would love to hear your view Laura.

Kindest
    Jax

11. janda says:

pasteurising and fermenting the milk to make the quarck greatly reduces the igf 1 factor…and flaxseeds prohibit and heal
    breastcancer!!