The Fundamentals

This week I had a vitamin crisis.

I somehow managed to c**k up my order of Bio En’R-G’y C, meaning there is currently NO vitamin C in the house, not one liposomal sachet.

Same goes for the organic wheatgrass shots. Due to an overwhelming demand, Evolution Organics has temporarily run out of stock (the price you pay for sharing health tips?) … which gave me pause for thought.

Was it time to take stock of my own OCD attitude to nutrition?

I was disturbed to find that running out of my favourite potions left me feeling edgy and vulnerable. When a man sitting next to me in the library started coughing, I wanted to move desks; when I got on the bus, I painstakingly avoided the handrail.

I usually feel bullet-proof, but without my full artillery of transdermal minerals, fermented fat-soluble supplements and vitamin sprays I felt like a sitting duck.

Spending most of my waking hours wading through alternative cancer research means I’m all too aware of the importance of supplements:

Vitamin D might prevent sixteen different types of cancer’ reads one study, ‘Magnesium can protect the brain from toxins, reduce high blood pressure and lower the risk of cancer,’ says another.

Even the vitamin skeptics were left looking at their feet last month, thanks to a large-scale study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

The researchers followed nearly 15,000 older male doctors for more than a decade found that those taking a daily multivitamin experienced 8 percent fewer cancers than the subjects taking dummy pills.

Some say a good diet is enough, but the majority of experts I’ve spoken to disagree:

‘There will always be resistance, even hostility from the nutritional ‘flat-Earthers’ – those who believe that ‘if you eat a balanced diet then you cannot be deficient in essential nutrients’ despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary,’ Professor Ian Brighthope said recently.

‘But I believe the system will eventually change in line with the accumulating evidence and research in the field of nutritional medicine is growing at a phenomenal rate.’

Dramatic changes to the way we live have, inevitably, affected our food supply.  Over the seventy-eight year period between 1914 and 1992, one medium sized raw apple with the skin intact showed a significant decline in mineral content.

According to  data presented in 2001 to the American College for the Advancement in Medicine, the modern apple showed a:

* 48 percent decrease in calcium

* 96 percent decrease in iron

* 83 percent decrease in magnesium ( The 9 Steps to Keep the Doctor Away by Dr. Rashid A. Buttar, pg 71)

These long lost nutrients have been replaced by toxins.

Over 80,000 chemicals have been released into the environment since 1900. Thanks to the march of modern industry, modern medicine and industrialized farming we are being systematically poisoned, every minute of every day – leaving our immune systems overwhelmed.

That’s where nutritional medicine comes in. Adding things like supergreens and high dose C to our daily diet can help usher these harmful substances out of the body.

So, let me be clear:  I don’t doubt, for a second, the value of supplements.

BUT it’s worth remembering they are not the whole story; not by a long shot.

Dr Nicholas Gonzalez, a New York based physician, believes emotional health is just as important as the enzyme therapy, individualized diet and coffee enemas he prescribes patients:

‘Nutrition is wonderful, but there is no vitamin mineral or trace element that can override somebody’s psychology,’ says Gonzalez. ‘Under stress the body tissues break down, to provide energy to deal with the stress – and that’s the antithesis of healing.’

Paul Pitchford, expert in Chinese medicine and author of Healing with Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition talks about ‘foundational healing.’

In a lecture for the Institute for Integrative Nutrition he explains the term: ‘I mean healing on the fundamental levels, for example awareness, activity and exercise and nutrition.’

For Paul Pitchford, the integration of mind, body and spirit is paramount:

‘If they [his clients] get overly involved in the nutrition and start focusing too much in every little detail, I ask them to stop and try meditation, try some kind of awareness practice, exercise more, don’t even think about nutrition for a while, or just put it on the backburner for a while… yes we’re about nutrition, but we’re also about the final result, people need to be healed.’

I decided to take a leaf out of Pitchford’s book and take the time to slow down and look inward.

Recently, I have been giving my Buddha a guilty, backward glance as I rush off the library. It was time to prioritize meditation over my rigid schedule. I also brought some new piano music – (Meatloaf’s ‘I’d do anything for love’ and this Summer’s anthem We Found Love … since you asked) and allowed myself to play a few songs rather than plough through emails until my boyfriend arrived home.

Mum has been trying to get me to understand the importance of emotional/spiritual wellbeing, for the last eighteen months:  ‘People always ask me about the tangible things – the ozone therapy, the vitamin C,’ she said the other day, ‘ but ultimately it’s so not the tangibles that matter.’

Bottom line? The less concrete things like a good night’s sleep, meaningful relationships, a connection to spirit, fresh air, forgiveness, gratitude, the earth beneath our feet… are so important in the healing process; just as important as any nutrient.

9 Responses to The Fundamentals

1. sue park says:

Another powerful episode. Thankyou Laura

2. Fiona Perman says:

Hi Laura
    Thank-you once again for a brilliant, entertaining, intelligent and insightful blog. You are so clever and I really enjoy reading them. On the topic of looking with in and health I am just finishing a brilliant book -The Mind’s Own Physician: A Scientific Dialogue with the Dalai Lama on the Healing Power of Meditation – I highly recommend it. Also I just sent Mum a link to a discussion on Cannabis Oil as a cancer treatment… do you have any thoughts on this?
    Take care and keep on writing – the world is better for it xx

Hi Fiona,

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback! I’m so glad you like reading my posts. I haven’t read The Mind’s Own Physician, but I’m about to get on a 22 hour flight – I might see if Waterstones has it. I have heard a lot of good things about Cannabis Oil treatment. I have spoken to one man in Canada whose young daughter is being treated for brain cancer with cannabis oil, among other things. There’s a lot of interesting research on it. Thanks again Fiona and I might see you back in Perth xx

3. Bob Harding says:

Dear Laura and Gemma, Certainly correct vitamin intake is essential but whatever the condition at the time the safest and most effecitive product to boost the immune system and detox harmfull toxins and substances from the body would be the Lifewave Glutathione patch. Previuos quality clinical studies already prove this. Current ongoing studies are producing incredible effects on improving health. This is a very genuine product. Lifewave is the first direct selling company in history to have a product accepted by a ministry of health and have a product registered as a Class 1 Medical Device as it is now in Europe now with their Silent Night patch for Insomnia. bob@lifewaveaus.com.au

4. chinny says:

I think that people have a need to quantify things and that is why there is such a focus on the tangible: it makes life neat and easy to objectify and deal with. But your mum is right- by doing so it is easy to lose sight of what is really important… Almost like a photographer who becomes obsessed with his equipment and forgets that it’s just a tool for creating a beautiful photograph. x

So true Chinny – I hadn’t thought about it like that. It requires so much more time and energy to stop and look at the bigger picture. Love your photography analogy x

5. Nigel Wallis says:

Hello Laura,
    I believe ‘health is a state of mind” and all vitamins, preventative health and cures in general re-enforce our state of mind. If we truly believe in a cure, whatever it may be, we will get better. This is the conclusion I have come to as a result of Jane’s (week 31) brush with ill health. For me it explains why some people get better and others don’t using the same methods. A good diet and the taking of the appropriate vitamins gives one a good start but the real clincher is what is going on in our heads. An example is the lad with multiple personalities and in only one was he allergic to orange juice. This leads to the notion that it is not our body that is in charge of our health but our minds. So your thoughts about the lack of your “favourite potions” this week will have made you vulnerable because you thought it so, not the lack of vitamins.
    However, this is a completely unscientific but it is the only way I can make sense of health verses illness.
    Thank you for doing this blog, it is a treasure trove. You are giving people the opportunity to take their power back.

6. Red says:

I really loved this one Laura. It gave me food for thought. I have decided I am hopeless at meditation
    So will make a novena instead. ( mass 9days consecutively ) started today. Will let you know if it works )xx. Red