Professor Ian Brighthope

Photo from www.foodmatters.tv

‘What’s the number one thing you’re doing?’ …is a question Mum has been asked a lot in these last few months.

While dealing with unresolved emotions and stress has been essential for Mum, if she were to name one cancer treatment that’s been most critical to her recovery, it would probably be intravenous vitamin C.

Many others would agree – if the demand at Mum’s local clinic is anything to go by. In the lead up to Christmas it was particularly frenetic, with cancer patients desperate to get their IV C fix before the festivities got underway.

While some patients, like Mum, use vitamin C as part of a combination of alternative treatments, many others use it alongside chemotherapy. A few weeks ago, a close friend of mine got the all-clear following a round of chemo and she’s now keen to supercharge her immune system with intravenous C. She recently asked me how it worked and I found myself getting tongue-tied.

So I thought I’d enlist the help of Australia’s leading expert in IV C – Professor Ian Brighthope.

Many of you will recognise Professor Brighthope – a medical doctor and surgeon – from the hit documentary Food Matters.

He has been treating patients with intravenous vitamin C for over 35 years, and, as the previous president of the Australian College of Nutritional & Environmental Medicine (ACNEM), he’s well placed to talk about how it works. Here’s what he had to say:

What are the benefits of having vitamin C therapy alongside conventional treatments?

‘Every benefit in the world,’ said Brighthope.

It reduces the toxic effects of chemotherapy, it accelerates the healing after chemotherapy, it reduces the inflammation caused by radiotherapy, it boosts the immune system, it suppresses the bacteria and viruses that may be implicated in causing or aggravating the growth of cancer and it stimulates white blood cells to mop up dead cancerous tissue and fight infection.’

Phew, that’s an impressive list.

So where did you learn about the benefits of high-dose Vitamin C ?

‘I had some clues from Linus Pauling in the US, but I basically taught myself,’ said Brighthope. ‘I used vitamin C experimentally in a cancer patient who was terminal – and the patient lived for another seven years.’

Where it all began

More than thirty years ago, Dr Linus Pauling and Dr Ewan Cameron conducted a number of studies, looking at the effect of vitamin C therapy in cancer patients. In 1971, 100 terminal cancer patients were given 10g (10,000 mg) of vitamin C intravenously a day, compared to a control group of 1000 patients who were treated by conventional methods only. (Just to give you some idea of how much vitamin C we’re talking – the RDI in Australia is 45mg per day).

Five years after the beginning of the study, 18 of the 100 vitamin C-treated patients were still living while all 1000 of the control patients had died (Tomorrow’s Cancer Cures TODAY, Dr Allan Spreen)

More recent research supports these findings. One Japanese study found those suffering from cancer of the uterus lived 15 times longer on vitamin C therapy (International Journal for Vitamin and Nutrition Research, 1982) and last year, New Zealand scientists confirmed that vitamin C helped inhibit tumour growth.

But it’s not just cancer patients who benefit from high-dose vitamin C – in 2009 a New Zealand dairy farmer miraculously recovered from a severe case of swine flu after intravenous C was administered at the eleventh hour. The doctors wanted to turn off this man’s life support, but his family insisted he have the treatment. You can watch the incredible story here (thank you Marie for sharing).

Back to Brighthope

‘ For acute problems, like an acute virus that’s going to kill somebody, it’s important to give vitamin C as an injection,’ said Brighthope.

Why?

‘You cannot achieve the extremely high physiological level that severely ill patients require by taking it orally, because the more you take orally, the less of a percentage of a dose is absorbed,’ said Brighthope.

The Mayo Clinic study (often cited by conventional doctors as evidence Vitamin C doesn’t work) is a case in point.

Shortly after Pauling and Cameron released the results from their groundbreaking vitamin C study, researchers from the Mayo clinic ran a similar trial – with one key difference.  While Pauling and Cameron administered 10g vitamin C intravenously, the Mayo participants were given the same dose orally. And -surprise, surprise- the vitamin C made no difference to survival rates.

So why don’t more people know about Vitamin C?

‘It’s very difficult …when you’ve got a very established profession that’s been dominated by the idea of diseases and drugs and surgery and radiotherapy; a profession that doesn’t know anything about health, yet is a health profession,’ explained Brighthope.

Is it illegal, in Australia, for an oncologist to recommend a patient try vitamin C therapy?

‘No. In fact it’s morally the correct thing to do for an oncologist to support whatever a patient – and or the patient’s family – wants for them. Also, the patient does have legal rights to a therapy that may be unproven.

From a legal point of view they have to practise along accepted guidelines, but the accepted guidelines for oncologists, may not be in the best interests of the patient,’ said Brighthope.

‘Put it this way, if the patient presents to the oncologist with a cancer, and the patient is malnourished and has a lack of protein; a lack of vitamins; a lack of minerals; a lack of essential fatty acids and other deficiencies of nutrients; the oncologist will take absolutely no notice … and will still go ahead with oncology – and oncological drugs – drugs that will compromise the patient’s health even further,’ said Brighthope.

But change is afoot.

‘It has been interesting to see how something [high dose vitamin c] that was regarded as absolute quackery, has become mainstream,’ said Brighthope. ‘In many respects we are at the forefront here in Australia with regard to nutritional medicine. It’s actually now recognised as a part of the GP training from the Royal Australian College of Medicine.’

Other countries are following suit. In the UK there’s pioneers like Dr Patrick Kingsley ( as well as Dr Wendy Denning and Dr Nicola Hembry) in America there’s legends like Dr Gary Gordon and in Mexico you have the likes of Dr Contreras – who have long prescribed IV C to help cancer patients achieve the all-clear.

As I’ve mentioned before the natural cancer journey is anything but clear. Alternative practitioners can be hard to come by, dietary advice can be contradictory and it can be difficult to know where to find the purest and best supplements and products.

It’s for that reason that I’ve mentioned specific brand names on this website – they are products we have both researched and Mum has tried – and we thought people might like to know about them. But I was given pause for thought last week when two subscribers questioned whether I was benefiting financially from product endorsements.

I can tell you, with hand on heart, that Mum and I make nothing from this blog ( in fact, on a few occasions, I’ve turned down paid work so that I have enough time to ensure the blog goes up). It is a labour of love, but one I do gladly, as Mum and I find the feedback, suggestions and stories from other readers profoundly life-affirming.

NOTE:

Professor Brighthope is no longer consulting. To find a practitioner in Australia who offers vitamin injections you may go to the Australasian College of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine: acnem.org

Those living in the UK may wish to contact the charity Yes To Life. They provide a directory of physicians trained in alternative and complementary medicine, including IV vitamin C. www.yestolife.org.uk

49 Responses to Professor Ian Brighthope

1. sue says:

Well Laura, I only got as far as Marie’s story…This is such an important blog…people need to know there are alternatives. How very scary that we are not made aware by the health professionals we put our faith in. It’s criminal really and incredibly sad. (I did read the rest) Thankyou again for an amazing chapter.

2. Hannah says:

Fascinating and enlightening read, as always. Very interesting x

3. kathleen kennedy says:

Hi Laura,happy new year to you and tour family. Thank you so much for all your information . It has been a great help to me. I felt sad, when I read that people had accused you of benefiting financially,but that’s the kind of world we live in. I feel that I am in charge of my health now,and that is very empowering. Prior to reading your article,I felt powerless, and often depressed. My sister and a friend, both died of the same cancer as I had,Pancreatic, and they both only lived for 8 months after diagnosis, so I think I was waiting for the 8months to pass,and about that time I read your article, and for the first time, I felt there was hope. At least now I am making some decisions, and taking some control. Thank you so much. Hope your mum gets well. Thank you Kathleen

Dear Kathleen,

Happy New Year to you. Your message brought tears to my eyes ( and Mum’s). I can’t imagine who awful it must have been for you to lose your sister ( and friend) to pancreatic cancer but I’m so happy that this blog has given you hope – there can be no healing without it.

Sending you lots of strength and positive energy for 2012.

x Laura

4. Jackie mcgowan says:

Recovering from breast cancer I found this very interesting. My son is suffering from something very strange. He took a soil based pro-biotic last year and since then has gone down hill. Suffering from some sort of fatigue and his copper levels being depleted. As usual no one will help him but just tell him he is depressed and dillusional. I was wondering if Vit C could help him as it helped the farmer who recovered from swine flu? I write as a desperate mother of a 33yr old son. He has been trying for the last year to cure himself and it has cost him a fortune. He has now had to leave his job of 16 yrs as he is too ill to return. Thanks for listening to my sons predicament. Gratefully Jackie

• Joy Perino Saloschin says:

I don’t know if vit c can help with a pro-biotic induced ailment, but interestingly, in Holland, when an abti-biotic is prescribed by a doctor, they automatically prescribe a high dose course of vit c to help balance out the damage done by the anti-biotic. I’d research it online – I found almost all my complementary cancer cures online, which helped me massively during my chemo, having had no idea about complementary therapies to start off with. You have to do quite a bit of research to be sure – make sure you include all your son’s issues, i.e. the copper levels, and you will find something I’m sure. Good luck with it.

5. Mils says:

I thought it important to add that there is a form of oral vitamin C called Lypo-spheric vitamin C. I won’t get into a complex description of it but it supposedly is nearly effective or as effective as intravenous vitamin C. It is available at http://www.iherb.com (where I get all my supplements from – very cheap) which also gives very detailed information about it. The manufactures of this also do lypo-speric Glutathione and lypo-sheric vitamin B. Although expensive for a vitamin C supplement it is much cheaper and more convenient to having intravenous vitamin C. I would do both. Anyway, it’s worth checking out.
    Also, I give my best wishes to your mum. I’m sure she will beat this thing and she is lucky having family like you to support her during this time of need. Also, it would be a good idea to get your mum into doing Qigong. If you do some research into this ancient Chinese therapy you will find that it has helped cure millions from various diseases through the ages and is particularly effective against cancer. Especially, look into Medical Qigong and branches of it that focus on cancer treatment. many Chinese hospitals include Qigong as an adjunct to their mainstream medicine.
    With the wonderful tool of the internet we should also look at treatment (conventional and alternative) available outside the Western world. How much do we know about the treatments available in places like Russia, China, India etc which have long histories of natural medicine as well as huge centers of modern scientific and medical research – something to think about.

6. Ali says:

My favourite blog so far Laura, i have my IV C booked in next month thanks to you and your thorough research. After completing chemotherapy 3 months ago now im ready to start building on my immune system. Your research has been invaluable. x

7. Stephen Massey says:

Hi Laura and loyal readers

In the interests of healthy debate a couple of points regarding the above post

Firstly for the record IV Vit C is not part of GP training and is not endorsed by the Royal Aust College of Medicine. I know this for 2 reasons, I am a recently trained GP and there is no such thing as the Royal Aust College of Medicine. Ian’s mistakes. Not Laura’s. Also, I was one of the people who contacted Laura inquiring about any financial links to the products in her blog. This was in response to what i felt was the advertorial tone of her last blog post, and i was obviously not alone in voicing my concerns. It was never an accusation and I am very pleased to hear her research is independent and her own

Ian Brighthope
    While this man certainly has an impressive list of credentials to his name the most important one to be aware of is his financial interest in businesses that manufacture and provide the very treatment he so glowingly promotes. Asking Ian for an honest, impartial opinion on vitamin C therapy seems to me a little like asking Steve Jobs whether iPhones are any good. This does not mean what he says is wrong, however it should be interpreted with the above in mind. iPhones maybe good, but i’d get some more advice before shelling out for one.

That trial
    A lot of the hype around Vitamin C comes from Linus Paulings oft referenced trial from the 1970s. While at first glance the numbers certainly seem impressive there are a few critcial flaws in the trials design that make many doctors sceptical. The first being the arbitrary assigning of a diagnosis of terminal to the treatment group. Much like a diagnosis of depression this will depend to some extent on the experience (and biases) of the person making the diagnosis. The trial has been criticised as diagnosing the treatment group as ‘terminal’ earlier than the control group. If this is the case its not hard to see why their apparent survival time was longer.
    The second major flaw was that while the study did have a control group, it was not randomised in a scientifically valid way. The people in the treatment group were obviously aware they were being treated and therefore subject to the benefits of the (not to be underestimated) placebo effect. The control group however were selected from medical records after the fact to closely resemble the population of people in the trial. This also brings into play what is known as the Hawthorne effect (google it, it’s an interesting backstory) which basically states that people in a trial do better simply by being in the trial, regardless of the intervention. As the people in the control group were unaware they were going to end up in a trial while they were being treated for cancer, they were not able to benefit from this effect.
    This may seem like semantics however it is these and many other factors that enable doctors to make evidence based treatment decisions to benefit patients. Somewhere on the internet you can probably find a journal article written by someone with a PhD to support almost any scientific argument you care to mount. Naturally they can’t all be right, so by using tools to critically evalute studies we can try and decipher which are worth heeding and which ignoring. The shortfalls of the vitamin c trial don’t make it wrong, however until better trials are conducted that prove the benefits, mainstream doctors will always be reluctant to prescribe it. Otherwise we’re no better than doctors 200 years ago, who did whatever they want based on their own experiences (bloodletting anyone?) rather than evidence, and as a result probably killed more than they saved.

Anecdotal evidence
    A favourite mantra of those who espouse the importance of evidence based medicine is ‘the plural of anecdote is not data’. An individual (or many individuals) experience no matter hower amazing can not be quoted as evidence. The simple reason being there are too many unknown factors in each individual case. This is why trials attempt to use large numbers to minimise the chance of any of these outside factors having an impact on the final result. I’m not a bad person and I am happy our dairy farmer from across the Tasman pulled through however i would be wary of recommending it as a swine flu treatment based on his experience. Remember, even if he was given 1/1000 chance of survival, this will still happen from time to time (1 in every 1000 to be precise). Or maybe he was given tamiflu as well, or maybe the doctors overestimated the severity of his illness, or maybe he was given some other natural remedy we don’t know about. The point is, we don’t know.

Doctor bashing
    “It’s very difficult …when you’ve got a very established profession that’s been dominated by the idea of diseases and drugs and surgery and radiotherapy; a profession that doesn’t know anything about health” One could argue that knowing about diseases, drugs, surgery and radiotherapy IS knowing about health. The issue i have with this statement, apart from making no sense, is the fallacy that “doctors know nothing therefore vitamin C cures cancer”. Even if it were true that doctors knew nothing about health that doesn’t mean vitamin C works. If this treatment works so well (and I’m not saying it doesn’t) what’s to be gained by tarnishing the mainstream medical profession? In Laura’s defence these were Ian’s words not hers.

Lastly if you feel any of what i have said is wrong, please correct me. I have been wrong before. Also if any of one cares where i stand on Vitamin C, I think more research is needed. Paulin’s trial may have some merit, and it seems to be true that oral Vit C can not be compared with IV. However the available research is deeply flawed and until we have a large scale, properly conducted randomised control trial, I would be very wary of putting all my eggs in one basket. Ian is a doctor and I’m sure he knows this, it would be nice if he said it.

Stephen Massey

Dear Stephen,

Of course hard scientific evidence is important – that’s why I’ve included links to published (often peer-reviewed, double-blind and placebo-controlled) studies throughout this blog.

If you’re interested in reading more studies relating to vitamin C you might like to take a look at this study as a first port of call:

Modulating factors of radical intensity and cytotoxic activity of ascorbate (review). Sakagami H, Satoh K, 1997. This paper explains how vitamin C works both as an antioxidant and as an oxidant, depending upon the environment in which the molecule is present.

Another report of interest is: Low ascorbate levels are associated with increased hypoxia-inducible factor-1 activity and an aggressive tumor phenotype in endometrial cancer

This report appeared in a journal published in 2010 by the American Association for Cancer Research ( AACR), quote, ‘the oldest and largest scientific organization in the world focused on every aspect of high-quality, innovative cancer research.’

It looked at how inadequate intracellular ascorbate (vit c) levels in endometrial tumours could contribute to HIF-1 overactivation (a factor which allows solid tumours to thrive).

Another study (reported in 2008 in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences) found that brain, ovarian and pancreatic tumours in mice shrank by 53% while the cancer in untreated mice quickly spread to other parts of the body.

I could go on and on. You’ll find a review of approximately 90 studies on the role of vitamin C in cancer prevention below. The review includes evidence showing it has protective effects for cancers of the pancreas, oral cavity, stomach, esophagus, cervix, rectum, breast, and lung.

– G. Block, et al., Epidemiologic Evidence Regarding Vitamin C and Cancer, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 54 (6 Suppl), December 1991, p. 1310S-1314S.

The reason I don’t overload my blog-posts with clinical research (although I do always include links) is that – from the feedback I’ve received from readers, and honest friends – most people find it boring. I tend to agree. Reading report after report about poor mice being induced with tumours to see how quickly they disappear does little to warm the cockles.

On the other hand, reading about a real person who’s been in your shoes but survived the odds can flick a powerful switch in the brain of someone with cancer – at least that’s what many cancer sufferers who have contacted me since reading this blog have said. That’s why I do pepper my posts with some anecdotal evidence. Hearing about others who’ve defied their diagnosis can be the difference between living and giving up. You mention the placebo affect – I’m glad you acknowledge that much. It’s mind-blowing to learn that at least one third of all healings have to do with the placebo affect, according to Bruce Lipton. But it’s worth noting that the ‘nocebo’ affect is equally as real. When a doctor tells a patient he has three months to live, can you imagine the seed of despair that plants in a patient’s head? I’ll be covering that in more detail soon.

You are absolutely right that, regrettably, IV Vit C is not part of GP training. As I understand it, medical training only includes one lecture on nutrition? What Brighthope was saying (and I listened over my tape again to check I quoted him correctly) was that training in nutritional and environmental medicine can be recognised as a part of GP training. He went on to say:

‘ So they[doctors] can train in nutritional and environmental medicine, and get a fellowship or a diploma and they get CPD (continuing professional development) points for it.’

With regards to Dr Brighthope’s current work for Nutrition Care, sorry, but I don’t think that disqualifies him as an expert in this field or takes away from the decades of experience he has as a qualified practitioner. In the 1970s he set up an antioxidant and intravenous vitamin C centre (The Brighthope Clinic and Biocentre) the first of its kind in Australia, which to me, makes him the ideal person to speak to on this subject.

Interestingly, yesterday I received an email from another one of my readers, who has a lot of success with natural treatments, he had this to say:

‘My oncologist called me into his office on Friday and told me he wants to start a wellness clinic–on a separate floor from his onco practice, in a new bldg..  “I’m tired of poisoning people” he said.

My success with holistic treatments has had an effect on him!!’

Finally, it seems we agree on the last point Dr Massey. You mention that you would be wary of ‘putting all your eggs in one basket,’ Mum and I couldn’t agree more with that point. In the 9 months since her diagnosis Mum has tried everything to boost her immune system and kick-start the healing process, from the Rife Machine and Budwig diet to Infrared Saunas and Ozone therapy.

And she’s not alone. Many people have written to me in the last few months sharing their own bespoke natural cancer programmes and not one of them is doing one thing. Most of us are well aware that there is no magic bullet when it comes to cancer… most, but perhaps not all of us.

Would you not say, Dr Massey, that choosing to only have chemotherapy or radiation, was also putting your eggs in one basket? And an experimental basket at that. I recently discovered that chemotherapy drugs are legally administered under the ‘Rule of Probable Cause’ which states that ‘experimental drugs may be used if the side effect of the drug is no worse than the end effect of the disease’….and let’s not forget that many chemotherapy drugs have ‘cancer’ as a listed side-effect.

On a final note, I’d just like to say that I have no desire to turn this page into a slinging match – that’s not what this blog is about. I receive dozens of emails, comments and phone calls everyday, and, quite frankly, I’d rather pour my energy into replying to people who are interested in this stuff.

• Stephen Massey says:

Hi Laura
        Thanks for posting and replying to my concerns. A slinging match was never my intention, please don’t misinterpret my alternate viewpoint as a lack of caring. Nothing could be further from the truth. Its precisely because i care so much about this ‘stuff’ that motivated me to post. All the best. Steve

• Suzanne says:

Poor Dr Massey… Indoctrinated he is!!! I doubt he even knows of anyone who has had or is indeed battling cancer. Recently graduated also he won’t have spent years in oncology seeing for himself it just doesn’t work. Kudos to the oncologist admitting to seeing the light.
        My father, recently deceased, battled cancer for 6 years….I am certain the chemo almost killed him and alternative medicine and a positive mind and healthy diet gave him some of his life back. I am absolutely certain about that.
        Great response to Dr Massey Laura – it needed to be said. Dr Massey please open your mind to learning…. to HEALING not HURTING. Oncology and the internet are two great starting places…

• Kubda says:

Dear Stephen,
      You have made lengthy comment on very specific points. But there is nothing about who you are, your interest in Vitamin C, your training, or your commercial connections either for or, by the tone of your post, your objections against Vit. c.
      Turn about is fair play.

8. Sarah says:

Keep up the good work Laura! It does sadden me that people would even think that you would be endorsing products for a finanical gain have they not been reading the blogs? Anyone who has cancer or knows someone with cancer is desperately crying out for honest and great advice and options. You are a true inspiration! Love to your mum x x x

9. Suzanne says:

Hi Laura,
    I am wondering if there is a directory of clinics or practitioners that endorse and give IV Vit C in Perth.
    Your blog is just wonderful.
    Laura thank you for all that you do and all that you believe in and share.

Dear Suzanne,

Thank you for your lovely comments. You can see a list of practitioners trained in nutritional medicine here: http://www.acnem.org/modules/mastop_publish/?tac=23

Very best wishes to you,

Laura

• samantha says:

Hi Laura, I love your blog, and you are so eloquent with it, a real sweetheart full of compassion. Love and thanks for your excellent posts and links. As a severe psoriasis sufferer, after five years of this. associated stress and depression, I think the IV C and B could be really helpful for me. I have researched so much over the years and have also spent thousands on nutrition and live blood analysis, which have worked very well but there is some kind of extra shove needed. I also have both parents with cancer…both chose radiotherapy complemented with yoga and other natural stressbusters. However, my dear grandmother is 96 and still has every marble. We are sure it has something to do with not only her genes, but the fact that she has always taken a squeeze of lemon in her tea! Ah, it’s that Vit C again, albeit oral, but there you go! Keep blogging! Love and Gratitude. Samantha

10. Karenne says:

With regard to Dr Stephen Massey……..please keep up your interest in “alternative” treatments. Not everything is gospel just because it came out of a text book. I am sure Alan Smith’s family would not understand your sceptism with regard to the values of Vitamin C (remember “Scurvy). They may not be as “educated” but were prepared to try (all ready proven) a natural and safe “alternative” that gave them back their father. A wonderful story Laura, thank you for sharing it with us. My advise for Dr Stephen Massey…please keep BOTH eyes open and I wish you well for a long and rewarding career.

• Voyt Reich says:

Laura, kudos to you for your reply to Dr Massey. My son isn’t even a Dr yet, he is in his third year of med school, and already exhibits the arrogance of the medical establishment. Open mind comes with years of practicing medicine and seeing first hand the failure of the cancer industry. If I were to believe my Dr, I would be going through my bucket list, but I feel fantastic, do Bikram three times a week and I’m planning my new business venture, a healing retreat on the Sunshine Coast.
      You certainly don’t want to overload your blog with double blinded placebo controlled studies. I’m facing the same problem with my blog. We have to keep it light otherwise it would be tedious. I’m actively looking for a doctor with the inclination towards natural healing therapies. Please let me know if it would be ok to use this forum to invite doctors willing to participate in my venture. If so, I will provide my mobile number so we can discuss it.
      Cheers
      Voyt

11. Maggie Linden says:

i had ovarian cancer 18 years ago and it returned eight years later. i did have chemotherapy both times and am in remission now. i also had breast cancer eight years ago – had more chemotherapy and radiotherapy but i also went on a dairy free diet after reading a book by Professor Jane Plant who is also a survivor of breast cancer and who had been told she was terminally ill and only had three months to live but has now been free of the disease for many years.
    It helped me to think i could do something to help myself beat the disease. I am now completely well and no longer need to go for annuals checkups.
    The statistic that impressed me most was that in countries that have a virtually dairy free diet like China there is a one in ten thousand chance of getting breast cancer while in this country it is a one in nine chance.
    Jane Plant’s book is very encouraging. It is called Your Life in your Hands.

12. Simon says:

Dear Laura,
    I saw the article about your mother today in the Times and it is heartening to hear she is doing well. I was diagnosed with myeloma, an incurable blood cancer in 2002 and 10 years or more survival rates for this disease are still exceptionally low. However, my immune system is compromised, i do get ill, but i go to the gym and lift heavy weights still. Having exercised for 30 years, doing kung fu etc and have always eaten well because of my Asian background and keep fit lifestyle. I have always taken vit c and other health products, green teas etc and i juice every morning without fail with carrots, ginger, beetroot, spinach, celery, broccoli, apple and red pepper and also give this to my kids every morning. So none of this explains why I got cancer in the first place, but i can tell you this, I had a double bone marrow transplant early on, with preceded with two lethal amounts of chemo to kill off my old bone marrow, and I have had chemo again 2 years ago. I have been relapsing slowly and will need chemo and steroids again. But if it wasn’t for this chemo I would be dead, end of, fact. And you know what, the chemo wasn’t so bad, I handled it, it wasn’t great, but it wasn’t nearly as bad as i thought it would be. And i don’t know why so many people are so bloody terrified of it. I’m more terrified of the cancer myself. But I find it very alarming, and even dangerous, that you seem to be pushing (even if you don’t mean to), an anti traditional chemo stance in favour of more anecdotal and very much less tried and tested alternative means and making out that haematologists with vast years of experience at the coalface of research are somehow being narrow-minded, and don’t have the patient’s well-being at heart, just because they show a healthy scepticism of your theories. I’m not saying don’t feed your immune system and try to stay healthy, I do, but please, please, don’t rob other people the chance of a longer life and seeing their kids grow up, like i have, by alienating them from more traditional proven routes.
    Simon

Dear Simon,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story and to raise a really important point. Mum and I are not – in any way shape or form -recommending that anyone forgo conventional treatment if that’s what they feel is best for them. A few months ago I addressed this issue. When I interviewed the author Lynne McTaggart, I asked her what was the most important factor to consider if you have cancer and she offered this sage advice:

‘ Belief is the first, most important factor,’ says Lynne. ‘ What do you think will work for you? If you have a strong belief about something, that’s going to be the best cure.’

Also, from what I’ve read ( and I don’t for a minute claim to be any kind of expert ) myeloma is one type of cancer that does respond well to chemotherapy. We all have to do our research, speak to people and listen to our instincts when it comes to treating our bodies, and all Mum and I hope to do is open people’s minds to the wide variety of treatment options out there: we wanted to share how these treatments work, where you can go for more information and how they can be used alongside conventional medicine.

One thing I do question is the way you refer to chemotherapy as a ‘traditional’ treatment. It’s worth remembering that chemotherapy has only been around since the 1940s (it can be traced to the discovery of chemical warfare agents used in the second world war). Many of the other anti-cancer treatments and supplements I mention have been around a great deal longer than that; including coffee enemas, laetrile, and the black salve.

Finally I wish you the very best on your journey Simon, I hope the treatment goes well for you and thanks again for sharing your story.

• Sue says:

Maybe one needs to find the cause of the cancer otherwise it can come back even if one goes into remission. All disease has a cause mostly environmental toxins these days which include chemicals, toxic metals, viruses, and recently a new toxin, microwave radiation from cell phone towers, cordless landlines and wifi routers. Studies show people can develop cancer in as little as 5 years of exposure depending on their suceptibility and strength of signal. Best to cable up all wireless devices.

13. Karla says:

Hi Laura
    I just had a total thyroidectomy 3 months ago for papillary carcinoma and I am interested in knowing where to go to get the vitamin C treatment and the Ozone treatment that you discuss in this blog. I live in London and i am very weary of a lot of Charlatans out there that profit from people who are desperately trying to find alternative therapies. I have had my fair share of encounters with them and it is so demotivating i feel sometimes it is like searching for a needle in a haystack. Any advice you have would be very appreciated.

Dear Karla,

I’m so sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. I’m also sad to hear that you’ve had some bad experiences with practitioners. The truth is that certain treatments ( whether conventional or alternative) work for some people and not for others – and most cancer patients have to go through some trial and error before they find what works best for them. For Mum, Ozone and IV Vitamin C are two of the things she’s stuck with since her diagnosis. Other therapies – like laetrile – she’s dropped. But for many thousands of others, Laetrile has been a lifesaver, so I’ve still included all the research in my blog.

Getting back to your question about where to go for IV C in London – the cancer charity Yes To Life, has a list of practitioners in London here: http://www.yestolife.org.uk/newresources.php and for Ozone, a starting point might be to send an email to the European Medical Society for Ozone Application in Prevention and Therapy: http://www.ozone-association.com/information_for_patients_60.htm. Email:info@ozongesellschaft.de

Very best wishes to you Karla!

14. peter says:

hope you are as well as can be expected.this may help. dr paul clayton s health defence. you may also research rene caisse work source canadian health products. best wishes

15. Pingback: The Budwig Diet | Mum's Not Having Chemo

16. Pingback: The Truth about Gardasil | Mum's Not Having Chemo

17. Pingback: Dr Leonard Coldwell | Mum's Not Having Chemo

18. Prof. Ian Brighthope says:

Your blog is very interesting and helpful to many people. Keep up the good work.
    Dr. Masseys comments about my vested interests are valid. I have never hidden away from them and have at all times declared conflicts of interest when required. These interests include the research and development of new entities and clinical trials so that doctors like Dr. Massey can be satisfied and encouraged to use natural substances in the treatment of their patients. The costs for this work all come out of my own pocket.
    I needed to establish another interest in health care for my own survival for, in the 1980’s, as the leader and president of the Nutritional and Environmental Medicine College, I was attacked relentlessly by members of my own profession who wanted me struck of the register to practice. I challenged the heinous findings of the Medical Board of Victoria in 1998 in the Supreme Court. The Judge found in my favour, reprimanded seriously the Medical Board and awarded costs against them. Subsequently, I supported large numbers of doctors who were charged with professional misconduct etc for using nutrients and diet in therapy and the State Medical Boards in Australia backed off because of the threat of publicity. I could not have achieved this if I didn’t have a commercial fallback position.
    Dr. Massey now has an environment in which he can practice NEM safely and without the threats that a number of us had to endure. Its still not perfect but thats for my successors.

• Thanks for your work Ian. I listened to the talk you gave for IACVF last year and was enriched by it. I am encouraged to see that the number of people exploring this field is growing, but unfortunately we still we have to watch loved ones die. More work to be done!

19. Pingback: Like a Little Prayer | Mum's Not Having Chemo

20. Pingback: Saying Goodbye to Colon Cancer | Mum's Not Having Chemo

21. Pingback: To Scan, or Not to Scan? | Mum's Not Having Chemo

22. Ken says:

My wife had surgery for endometrial cancer in Dec 11. Now she has been diagnosed with Stage 4 metastic bone cancer and liver cancer. She is offered palliative morphine and radiation but would like intravenous Vitamin C. However, she is unable to find a practitioner in Canberra who will administer Vit C intravenously.
    She is not really well enough to travel.
    Can you please make any suggestions?

Dear Ken, I’m so sorry to hear about your wife. If you click on this link you will find the details of Dr Jane Taylor who provides various intravenous supplements. http://www.acnem.org/modules/mastop_publish/?tac=29 Wishing you all the very best, Laura

• Ken says:

Dear laura,

We know Dr Jane Taylor who is Anne’s GP, however, she is not permitted to give intravenous Vitamin C by the Medical Practice she is now associated with since Dr Turtle (who used to give IV VIt C) went to Sydney a year ago.

Do you think IV Vit C ould help in Anne’s Condition?

She is having lypospheric Vit C and Soidium Ascorbate and some Ascorbyl Palmitate orally but would love to have high dose IV Vit C too.

Dear Ken,

I’m afraid I can’t help you with that. Since I’m merely a journalist – not a medical practitioner – it would be incredibly irresponsible of me to offer you specific medical advice. Perhaps someone from the Australian College of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine would be able to answer your questions ? Very best wishes, Laura

23. Ken says:

Thank you. Keep up your good work.

24. Pamela Burfield -Mills says:

Hi Ian,
    A voice from the past !!!!!!!!! Great to read about all you are up to now.

Just wondering if you are still working with your anti-smoking drops???????

I am still living in Sydney so hope to catch up when you are next here.

Cheers Pamela Burfield-Mills

25. Angelica says:

The treatments here in Seattle, Wa are $ 200 per shot and I think they ask you do do two each week. Any suggestions?

• laura says:

Hi Angelica,

Those prices are in line with the ones in the UK and Australia – from the practitioners I have spoken too at least.

Best wishes,

Laura

26. Warren says:

Hi Laura,

My partner had been diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer that metastasised in her bones of june this year. I was so scared and dumbfounded when the oncologist told us that there is no cure and we had to start chemo straightaway as there is not much time, and we did. She only had 1 seesion and we decided to not go ahead anymore and chose to do alternative/intrgrative therapies. She was in a great deal of pain, it took us half an hour to lift her up just to stand up from her bed. After starting B17, vit c IV’s and juicing and vegetatrian diet, pain started to be lessened, she stil feels pain from time to time and we know that it is going to be a long hard battle but we are really that we will prove the doctors wrong. And we will fight all the way! It’s really hard for her especially the diet because she was not a vegetarian and still finding it hard but she is a battler and we will pull through. She lives in the Phillipines at the moment and i will be going there to give her all the support she needs. I quit my job and career so i can lend her all the possible support she needs. I read your blogs everyday and find it inspirational, evrytime im down, i will read all your articles to find more infos and somehow it uplifts me and keeps me comforted. Keep up the good work and the passion..wishing your mom all the wellness and happiness!

Thanks,
    Warren

Dear Warren, your message brought tears to my eyes – and Mum’s as well. Your wife is in our thoughts and in our prayers. Do not give up hope. Remember that for every cancer that has ever been diagnosed – and at every stage – someone has survived it. So why not your wife? Love and light, Laura and Gemma

27. lydia says:

Hi Laura
    Iam so grateful to have found your blog and for the good work you are doing. You have confirmed everything I have tried to do for my mum to recover from liver cancer with completementary treatment was worth it .I didnt really understand what I was doing as I am not a medical doctor or therapist. I just wanted my mum to survive and live a quality life to see her grandchildren grow up it was her wish. Unfortunately she died after surgery and radiation therapy was there just to help her to die quicker. As English is her second language she may not have fully understood the extent of the risk and side effect associated with Chemotherapy and Radiation therapy and Surgery. I wish she tried IV C and B17 therapy and avoided chemotherapy radiation therapy and surgery completely. Traditional Chinese Herbal Medicine Tai Chi and Medical Qi Going did help her great deal to have lasted 10mths before seeing a surgeon. The surgeon could not understand and was surprised she was still alive at the serious stage of cancer. I begged her on the phone not to go thru with surgery but she was sold on it. Her surgery was aborted half way during operation due to complication. My mothers last words to me was “They lied to me” but it was too late to go back to the treatment she was doing and was helping her. It does not help if a family is split on conventional and completementary treatment and a challenge dealing with some oncologist.. You and your family are doing a wounderful job supporting your mother thru this challenging time and good on you for sticking together. I wish your mum will get well and recovery fully and enjoy life. I just would like to mention Kristine S Matheson wrote a book called From Cancer to Wellness the forgotten secrets trigger me to look up IV C therapy and my friend whom brought the book for himself I could not take my hand of reading it. This whole process have helped me with dealing with my grief and anger at losing my mother knowing that I did the best I could at the time and with the resource I had. Thank You Thank You Thank You. Love, Joy, Hope, and Happiness from Lydia