Magnesium: The Cancer Fighting Mineral

‘ Did you know swimming in the ocean is one of the best ways to get more magnesium?’ said Mum, before ducking under a wave.

Mum shared this little gem when we were down at Cottesloe beach a few months ago. Prior to getting cancer, she wasn’t much of a surfer-chick. But these days, her bikinis barely have time to dry before she’s tugging them off the line.

An excursion, once fraught with anxiety and full of preparation, is now a grab-the-keys-and-go, affair. No sunscreen (got to let the vitamin D in), no makeup, no cares.

While a swim in the sea is a great way to boost magnesium levels, a quick dip might still leave you short-changed of this vital mineral. And that would be a great shame. For it seems magnesium might be the most important mineral for cancer patients – and non-cancer patients – alike.

‘If you don’t have magnesium you can’t create energy,’ explains Kathryn Alexander, world-renowned expert in detoxification and author of Dietary Healing the Complete Detox program.  ‘Magnesium is very important in the production of ATP.’

Magnesium is also involved in fat and protein synthesis, muscle relaxation, nervous system function and more.

According to Dr. Norm Shealy: ‘ Virtually every known disease is associated with magnesium deficiency, including asthma, hypertension, cancer, diabetes, migraine, allergies… and depression.’ (Taken from the paper ‘Transdermal Absorption of Magnesium’ published in the Southern Medical Journal.)

This nutrition all-star can also:

• Improve insulin resistance in diabetics
  • Protect the brain from toxins – like mercury, lead and cadmium
  • Lower the risk of heart attack
  • Reduce high blood pressure
  • Restore healthy intestinal flora
  • Protect against gingivitis
  • Lower the risk of seizures during pregnancy
  • Relieve digestive problems
  • Restore proper calcium metabolism (Excess calcium can lead to arthritis, Alzheimer’s, hardening of the arteries and osteoporosis. Many Americans have a 6-to-1 ration of calcium to magnesium, when the ideal ration is 2-to-1 in favour of magnesium, according to Dr. William Campbell Douglass).

And that’s before we even get to the anti-cancer part.

One Swedish study found that women with the highest magnesium intake had a 40% lower risk of developing colon cancer.

Inadequate magnesium is also a risk factor for leukemia, according to research from Poland (Aleksandrowicz et al)

But the most convincing evidence comes from a recent survey of patients admitted to a tertiary cancer centre. The study revealed that 46% of patients submitted to the intensive care unit were deficient in magnesium.

So why is magnesium so important for cancer patients? We now know that optimum magnesium levels can:

Interestingly, when we’re stressed our magnesium levels nosedive. So when you’re going through a rough patch – or burning the candle at both ends – it’s essential to replenish your body with this vital mineral.

Drinking coffee, carbonated drinks and alcohol also drives down magnesium, along with eating too much sugar, packaged foods or taking certain synthetic estrogens.

Fertilizers significantly decrease the amount of magnesium in the soil, so it’s worth making the switch to organic – especially if you’re dealing with cancer.

Boosting your Magnesium Levels

Sea vegetables, nuts (particularly almonds and cashews), tahini, chocolate and celtic sea salt are all rich sources of magnesium. But even if you’re a fan of these foods, you still might not be getting enough. Unfortunately, oral magnesium is poorly absorbed, so taking a supplement won’t help much either.

So what’s the alternative?

‘ If its an emergency situation you’re going to want to put it into an IV drip, you can take it orally, you can nebulize it…’ suggests Dr. Mark Sircus, author of Transdermal Magnesium Therapy.  ‘ You can put it directly on your skin… when you’re very deficient and you’re treating something like cancer…it’s good to get the whole body, the more you put on the body, the longer you leave it on the body – the more that’s going to be absorbed.’

Magnesium oil or gel (in the form of magnesium chloride) can be applied to the skin and is absorbed immediately into the cells. Every day Mum rubs magnesium gel into the small of her back to give her adrenals a boost.

She also regularly takes a magnesium bath – usually after an infrared sauna session.  It’s like a double-detox, with a beauty bonus too…

You see magnesium stimulates the production of DHEA, a hormone known for its anti-ageing properties. But that’s not all. According to Dr. Susan Lark, magnesium is also critical for getting rid of cellulite.

…Maybe that’s why beach babes always look so good.

* Here are a few places where you can purchase magnesium oil, gel and bath flakes:

Ancient Minerals

The Raw Food World

Precious Organics (Australia)

10 Responses to Magnesium: The Cancer Fighting Mineral

1. Don Bothwell says:

Great article Laura, found it really interesting. I was getting bad headaches and have found high doses of magnesium helped. Now I know the ocean is a good source of magnesium there is no excuse not to surf more and spend time in the ocean 🙂

Lovely to hear from you Don! Yes, good excuse to get back on the board! I’m quite a headachy person and find the magnesium oil really helpful.

2. sue says:

So interesting Laura. Such amazing information. I take magnesium powder to help keep migraines at bay so I will add some gel and bath flakes to give me a boost…and keep eating almonds and chocolate…such good news!

3. anthea krost says:

Hey Laura, your Uncle Doug worked for Faulding. I recall him advocating the benefits of Epsom Salts, which is basically magneseum Sulfate. My Mother recalled it as being a ‘cure all’ for them as kids. I have just gone to my garden shed and pulled out a box of the very same salts I have been sprinkling around my cumquat trees. A cousin of mine with pernicios enemia (sp) for which she was being treated over 3-4 years before consulting a ‘white witch’. She agreed with the diagnosis however the cure was that she (cousin) was to soak, and submerge herself, in an Epsom Salts bath. I don’t know the quantities, nor the frequency however I can assure you her iron count was up in a matter of weeks. I am happy to find out should you wish to know more. Fauldings has a healthline with the benefits of E.S. Kind regards to you and certainly to Gemma, well done and many thanks, Anthea

4. Steph says:

Brilliant Laura. I stopped at Precious Organics on the way home from work and got some magnesium oil. Can’t wait to use it. I have been taking capsules with magnesium for ages and it really helps arthritis. But now it’s going to be even more effective I am pretty excited. Xx

5. Vincent says:

Great post Laura and minerals in general, are probably one of the most overlooked areas when it comes to health. Many of us think about vitamins and supplements, but little about levels of Selenium, Copper, Chromium, Zinc and some of the other vital minerals for good health. Magnesium is definately a big one though because as you mentioned, when stress comes in the door, Magnesium flies out the window, it leaches out of the body. I would highly recommend having a mineral check done, which will not only tell you if you are deficient in any of the vital ones, but also it will indicate if you have ‘Heavy Metal’ toxicity in your body like Mercury, Aluminium, Cadmium etc. When I had my first Mineral check done, which is by hair sample, my Magnesium levels where on the floor and I had high levels of Mercury in my system, so I set about addressing the deficiency in Magnesium and safely escorting the Mercury out of the body. Here is the testing lab that I used http://www.mineralcheck.com/mineral.htm

6. Sarah says:

Great article as always Laura thankyou. I ve been bathing in dead sea salts recently and been using a magnesium oil spray to help with sleep. Im going to get mum some now too she is been a bit stubborn about stuff but she loves her baths so im sure adding the magnesium will benefit her greatly. Thanks again x x x x

7. Sally says:

The main reason that Magnesium is so effective is that it is a muscle relaxant and it speeds up bowel movements. People who are uptight have emotional blockages and this slows down the bowel leading to chronic constipation which is the leading cause of cancer. Colonic irrigation is a great preventative.

8. Jayne says:

Hi Laura
    I know this is a bit leftfield but I have been scratching my head as to what to do with this and who better to ask than an Aussie!!
    In a nutshell, we (me & my wee family) are moving from Scotland (brrr – cold, damp & far from the equator) to Lanzarote (phew – hot, hot, hot & much nearer the equator) in August this year and my dilemma is sunscreen. I am more than aware of the Vit D thing (esp being Scottish – we have to take a supplement) but what should we do regarding sunscreen, especially for my 8 y.o. daughter as there will be times when being exposed is unavoidable. Commercial sunscreens are full of crap as we know, covering up is the real answer but practically speaking what do you think I should invest in with the sunscreen thing? Any hints or tips would be great 🙂 !

Love