Enzymes

It doesn’t matter how much green tea you drink or vitamin C you gobble, if you’re not getting enough of this vital nutrient, you might be wasting your time.

‘ Enzymes are just so important,’ said naturopath Jeremy Bowler to Mum, while she was filling her basket at Precious Organics. ‘The right blend can help with everything from autoimmune diseases and hypertension to liver problems and breast lumps. We call enzymes the tool men in the factory – they’re responsible for most of our essential functions.’

Precious Organics is jam-packed with ‘living products,’ like activated nuts, digestive enzymes and broccoli sprouts. It’s also full of people who radiate health, including Jeremy, Vicki and her daughter Elli, who run the shop. The last time I went to Precious with Mum, I’d just had a fake tan – and felt so off-message. The ‘inside-out’ glow is obviously the new St Tropez and living enzymes are the way to get it.

‘ In five or ten years most people will be taking these nutrients along with antioxidants and other supplements. Yet few are taking them now,’ writes Lee Euler in the fantastic report The Missing Ingredient For Good Health.

He’s not the only enzyme enthusiast.

In a 2008 paper titled Enzymes and Cancer: A Look Toward the Past as We Move Forward, Dr Keith Block writes about meeting a German doctor at a recent cancer conference:

‘ I asked him what the most exciting thing in cancer CAM (complementary and alternative medicine) in Europe was at that time. ‘Enzymes,’ he said.

A bit surprised by his instantaneous response, I asked him what the second most exciting thing was. Again, with no hesitation he blurted out, ‘More enzymes!’

Enzymes have been the key to survival for patients with a wide variety of cancers, including metastatic breast cancer, kidney cancer and leukaemia. In one study where 107 women had undergone mastectomies for breast cancer 84% of those on enzymes (Wobenzyme) survived more than five years, compared to 43% on conventional therapy. (The Missing Ingredient For Good Health, pg 9 )

In another study (randomized, double blind) of 60 colon cancer patients, those taking enzymes showed lower level of chemotherapy side effects, had fewer metastases and a trend towards longer survival.

Shortly after Mum was diagnosed with cancer I had the privilege of interviewing Dr Jonathan Wright, a superstar in the alternative health world. Naturally, I squeezed in a question about Mum’s cancer. His advice?

‘If it were my mum, I would send her to New York City to Nicholas Gonzalez right away. His track record is better than anyone in the United States for helping people to get over their cancers.’

Dr Nicholas Gonzalez has had great success treating cancer patients with enzymes, coffee enemas and aggressive supplementation. But he’s had PHENOMENAL success treating pancreatic cancer patients.

Gonzalez carried out a pilot study of 11 patients suffering inoperable adeno-carcinoma of the pancreas, one of most fatal forms of cancer: the average patient with this type of cancer survives three to six months.

Gonzalez was told that if 3 of the patients lived one year – that would be seen as a positive result.

So what happened?

9 of the patients lived more than one year, 5 lived more than two years, 4 lived more than three years and two lived more than four years.

In a similar study of 126 chemotherapy patients with the inoperable pancreatic cancer, not one lived longer than 19 months.

So the ‘alternative’ therapy outperformed chemotherapy by a hundred to one. The study was published in the peer-reviewed journal Nutrition and Cancer in 1999, issue #33.

Understanding Enzymes

In 1902 a Scottish doctor, John Beard, published a paper suggesting pancreatic enzymes might be helpful in fighting cancer.

Beard, an embryologist, noticed that the placenta behaved very much like a cancer tumour.

Why?

When it implants into the uterus, the placenta burrows and invades the mother’s tissue, exactly like a cancer.

Beard observed that the placenta stopped growing at the same time the baby’s pancreas became active and started to release enzymes. He theorized that the same enzymes might halt the growth of cancer.

Within a few years, hundreds of clinics sprang up offering pancreatic enzyme treatments for cancer patients – there were 40 centres in London alone, according to Dr Keith Scott-Mumby in Cancer Research Secrets.

Dr Beard (along with Dr.  Krebs, Jr., and Dr. Burk) also made the groundbreaking discovery that cancer cells are coated with a protein (fibrin), and that this lining stops the body’s normal defenses from getting to the cancer cell.

They found that enzymes were able digest the fibrin coating the tumor, allowing the body’s white blood cells to break it down.

Taking up the Baton

Others have kept the enzyme idea burning brightly. Not least, Dr William Donald Kelley, who cured himself of pancreatic cancer using Beard’s theories.

Evidence suggests Kelley’s at-home DIY programme is 90% effective in patients whose immune systems have not been devastated by chemotherapy.

Then there is Dr Max Wolf, a Columbia University Medical Researcher, who came up with arguably one of the most effective enzyme combinations – Wobe-Mugos, better known as Wobenzym. (It’s now the second most popular pain therapy in Germany, outsold only by Aspirin, according to Lee Euler).

Then of course, there is Gonzalez.

Gonzalez has spent the last few decades curing apparently incurable cases of cancer. 31 of his case studies are currently available at http://alternative-therapies.com.

One of his patients, a 62-year-old woman, was suffering from cancer of the uterus. The cancer had spread to other organs and her doctors suggested radiation was her only chance of survival. Instead she treated herself to high dose vitamin C and herbal tea – and then heard about Gonzalez.

After 20 months on the Gonzalez programme, she was cancer free. In another 14 months MRI studies showed there was no sign of cancer. 16 years later? She was still alive and well.

About a month ago, Mum got serious about enzymes (they were also duly added to Gnocchi’s fish and vegetable mix). The enzymes she’s now added to her regime include:

Plantazyme

Rutozym (containing the enzyme Nattokinase)

Bromelain (from pineapple)

Wobenzyme (containing enzymes from both porcine and plant substances)

According to Gonzalez the porcine pancreatic enzymes are the ones that pack the most anti-cancer punch.

But that’s not to say the other ones aren’t important too.

Nattokinase has been hailed as the ‘enzyme of enzymes.’

It’s derived from natto, Japan’s equivalent to vegemite: ergo, children are introduced to it at an early age and learn to love its unusual taste. It’s popularity might go some way to explaining why Japan has such low levels of heart disease, since it’s now known that Nattokinase, is able to break down fibrin – responsible for blood clotting as well as a cancer tumour coating.

In fact many alternative doctors recommend enzymes for their heart patients AND cancer patients.

‘When I put you on my cancer prevention programme, you are not going to die of a heart attack, because you can’t eliminate cancer without eliminating the thickness of blood,’ says Dr Gary Gordon in Your BluePrint for Beating Cancer.

According to Gordon thick blood moves cancer more easily from one area to another, and enzymes help to keep the blood ‘less like ketchup and more like red wine.’

I know what kind of blood I’d prefer – mwah ha ha. Happy Halloween everyone.

As a final note I’d just like to say a HUGE thank you to everyone who has written in with such lovely comments this week. Mum and I were overwhelmed by the positive reaction to the piece that appeared in the Sunday Times Magazine last weekend. Which you can see here.

I look forward to continuing the conversation with you all – hearing your own stories  and learning more about the miraculous alternative cancer treatments now available.

It seems the alternative cancer journey isn’t such a lonely one after all.

32 Responses to Enzymes

1. Janet says:

I was one of those who read about your blog for the first time in this weeks STM. That night I read all of your previous blogs in one sitting. It’s great, inspiring stuff. I enjoy and applaud your mothers courage and your support of her- not to mention your love of Gnocchi! BUT. And it’s a but you have raised more than once- are there alternatives for those of us unable to buy so many expensive supplements and equipment? As the sole parent of a 6 year old, I work 2 jobs and am doing post-graduate study. I still need to be able to support my body to fight this illness, and it’s quite demoralising to hear of alternatives that provide people with the chance of life extension, remission and healing, that I am absolutely unable to afford. Is more raw food a viable enough alternative to digestive enzymes? Is there is point in mega doses of vit C orally or will only intravenous do? I know there is a plethora of literature out there for treating/healing/avoiding cancers and I have read many of them. Perhaps if you know of one that suggests a healing plan that doesn’t mean spending loads of money, taking time off work and expensive juicers and infra-red saunas I would be so grateful. Thanks for your website, and I look forward to hearing more….and my best wishes for your mum…..

Hi Janet, thank you so much for your kind words about the blog and for bringing up this really important point. As my Mum says, ‘Why is it that we live in a democracy, yet when it comes to health care, we’re punished financially for choosing the alternative option.’ I feel very privileged that you’ve taken the time to comment here when it sounds like you have very little time for yourself! In answer to your question there are certainly some powerful and cheap alternative therapies you can try. Many people have attributed their cancer recovery to Hydrogen Peroxide – you can read more about it here: http://www.earthclinic.com You can buy food grade hydrogen peroxide for around $1 at pharmacies. Then there is Lipo-Spheric Vitamin C which you can buy here: http://www.johnappleton.co.nz/products/Lypo%252dSpheric-Vitamin-C.html
      Some suggest this new form of vitamin C is as potent as IV C. You could also look into the Budwig Diet – all you need is flaxseed oil and cottage cheese. I’m going to be writing more about that soon. Very best wishes and stay in touch!

• Tricia Willis says:

Another thing to look into is Herb Robert and even Sheep Sorrell – have them as a tea – pleasant taste.
        There is a book called Cancer can be cured by Father Romano Zago who praises aloe vera as a key cure for cancer. It’s a tastte to get used to tho’!
        I know the expensiveness of alternative options – I had a Vit C infusion today and am $200 out of pocket – and it is recommended to do so twice a week!!
        Good Luck Janet!

All the best!

2. Maggie says:

I there. My Mum sent me this link after seeing it in the Sunday Times too. Good on you and your Mum for being brave enough to go against the grain, I’m sure all of her doctors tried to convince her otherwise. I know if my Mum or anyone I loved got diagnosed I’d send them straight off to the Gerson Clinic in Mexico. Have you seen the documentary ‘Dying to Have Known’?
    I also love Jeremy down at Precious Organics, and love to have very interesting chats with him. When I rang for advice about a friend recently diagnosed with breast cancer (who unfortunately just started chemo on Monday) I was pointed towards German New Medicine.
    Good luck, I’m putting you in my blog reader to keep up with your story.

3. Love your blog. Keep up the good work!
    And juicing is of course the very best way to get your live enzymes!!!
    (And much funner and tastier than taking supplements)

4. Nick says:

HI and congrats on your making the Sunday Times with such a wonderful success story.
    I have been on the same journey from 1998 and astounded my Oncologist with my results obtained from pursuing the Natural/Complementary Health Course rather than Conventional Therapies.
    Keep on writing as your info will be invaluable to many.
    Best Regards
    Nick

That’s really fantastic news Nick! Was your oncologist interested to hear what therapies you tried? Thanks for sharing your story.

5. Rebecca Chisholm says:

A very interesting website. My mum is a cancer survivor after refusing chemo. The doctors tried to pressure her into it and luckily my mum was stubborn enough to say “no” and then she fought it with the less severe form of radiation and natural remedies. Fives years my mum is still here and now in remission. A couple of her friends had chemo and it made the cancer more aggressive and they didnt survive.

Hi Rebecca, I’d love to know what natural remedies your Mum tried? Great to hear that she’s doing well.

• Georgee says:

Hi Cathy (not sure if I’ve spelt your name right)
        I’m located in Adeaide and am intersted in the therapies you did in Adelaide also the IV’s here is my contact no. 8339 7870. You can leave a message if I’m not home and I’ll call you back. I look forward to hearing from you. Regards, Georgee

6. cathy says:

Hi Rebecca and Gemma, I have just read the whole blog after reading the article in our Adelaide paper today. Thankyou for being courageous in starting this blog and for finding your own way in the “health system”. I would like to encourage others to take control of their health because their life may depend on it. I have travelled a similar path having been diagnosed with uterine carcinosarcoma 2 years ago, the same week my beloved cat was found to have a brain tumour .
    After telling me I had a high grade tumour I was told by my Oncologist/Gynae ‘not to look on the internet’ and that he was the ‘expert’ despite the fact that I have worked as a nurse and been involved in health research for over 30 years. The type of cancer I had is rare, 3% of uterine cancers but 60% of women who have it develop metastasis in the first year. I was told that if I had chemo and radiotherapy I would be cured and would never have to worry about it again. I knew this was untrue so did my own research. I also found the Australian research that you refer to which stated that chemo did not have any positive effect on the 5 your survival for uterine cancer. I have researched cancer for the past 2 years and I am impressed with the accuracy and comprehensiveness of the knowledge that you have found in such a short time.
    I had a hysterectomy, but declined the chemo/radio. I decided on diet & supplements which you have researched very well , including essentail oils based on the work of Otto Warburg and researched further by Brian Peskin in his book ‘The Hidden Cause of Cancer”. I started IV vitamin C 50g twice weekly before surgery, fortunately I can do my own infusions for the cost of the C but it is still expensive. People can learn to do their own infusions. I have also used photodynamic therapy with Chlorin and IV laser treatment which is available in Adelaide.

I needed to find out why I got cancer when I have always been interested in natural health,leading an active and what I thought was a healthy life. I discovered that I had mercury poisoning (it damages the DNA and is a carcinogen) from working with mercurochrome 20 years ago. There are several different gene defects that affect the methylation/excretion of toxins and heavy metals. I have MTHFR gene defect (about 30% of northern European decendents have it) which means that we cannot get rid of heavy metals and toxins so they have accumulated over the years. The symptoms of mercury had started to become apparent in my late 40s which my GP put down to menopause and put me on Premarin for 18 months. In my research I found that it has been known for 30 years that unopposed oestrogen (ie Premarin) causes uteine cancer. There is a warning in the doctors medication guide to that effect. Wyeth, the drug company that makes Premarin has recently been found in a US court that they funded ‘ghost writers’ to write articles that claimed HRT was not associated with cancer, they then paid doctors to put their name to the ‘studies’ which were published in reputable journals that are subsidised by big pharaceutical companies. In court Wyeth stated ghost wrting is ‘not illegal’ which it is not but unethical, deceitful it is. Chemo is one of the Big Pharma’s most profitable lines , they gain anyway. So beware, so called double blind controlled studies, they may have been written by ghost wrtiers! There are many books and studies showing how Vitamin C works, likewise with many of the other treatments mentioned in this blog.

I work 2 jobs to pay for my treatments but I could have had $30,000 worth of chemo at tax payers expense. In most of Europe they only use chemo for the few cancers for which it is proven effective. How can we get it so wrong???
    My cat also appears to be cancer free after 2 years after using Protocel which is a cancer killing liquid that I gave him every 8 hours for 8 months. It has an extensive website and is quite cheap but works on a completely different principle than the one I chose for myself. Prof Mumby does not believe in Protocel it but it worked for my cat.
    Sorry this is so long but I am so pleased to find someone who is prepared to enlighten people and I hope some of my research may be helpful. Because I work in the ‘health’ (unhealthy) system I cannot be vocal but I can put people in touch with health practitioners in Adelaide. The doctors listed on the Environmental and Nutrition website are a good start.

• Sharon Michaels says:

Hi Rebecca & Gemma, I loved your article & have been reading your blog ever since. I was diagnosed with mestatic liver cancer Jan 2010. I would love to get in touch with Cathy as I also live in Adelaide & would be great to compare notes. Is there a way you can help us to connect.
      With light & blessings
      Sharon

7. Steve Wilkinson says:

FYI:
    Check out something called sodium dichloroacetate( DCA) It made the CTV national news here in Canada a couple years ago. Compared to amount of cancer research being done, there is very little being done with DCA as it is a “orphaned drug”. The patent ran out on it years ago and drug companies would make very little on it . Having said that there have been a number of studies (established places of higher learning from Johns Hopkins and the Harvard School of Medicine-Boston to Oxford and the Bristol University) on DCA that showed very promising result with little side effect . Check out the link listed below. It can be “very thick wading” to understand but I normally go to the concluding 2 or 3 lines in the research study report abstract . Just type in ” dichloroacetate cancer ” in the search window at the site. It’s a US government information site probably intended for just microbiologists

Good Luck

8. Steve Wilkinson says:

I should have mentioned that the only side effect from DCA is something called neuropathy. We’ve probably all had it in a mild form…….a slightly twitching eye, sometimes a tingling the hands or feet. Studies have show that neuropathy from the DCA is moderated with vitamin B1( thiamine) and when the treatments stop so does the neuropathy.
    Check it out…..it makes interesting reading

9. Pingback: Hyperthermia | Mum's Not Having Chemo

10. Chris Thomas says:

I was very interested in the Advertiser article and blog having ovarian cancer myself and having undergone conventional treatment which failed and therefore having little option but to explore the alternatives. I am a member of an internet site ‘Inspire’ where I posted links to the article and blog for other members to share. However there are several members with questions that I wonder if you could answer? They would like to know;
    1. the stage or grade at diagnosis?
    2. whether optimal debulking or any other kind of surgery was carried out?
    3. How does she tell if her cancer is decreasing? CA125? CT scans?
    4. The date of diagnosis and how long Mom has survived?
    The site is easily accessible but my posts are members only so you can see the thread by joining and follow the conversation that your mum’s story has provoked.http://www.inspire.com/groups/ovarian-cancer-national-alliance/discussion/why-a-brave-mum-said-no-to-chemo/?page=last#replies
    Regards
    Chris

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your interest in the blog and I’m glad to hear that it’s sparked a conversation with your readers. To answer your questions, Mum was diagnosed ( by a CA 125 blood test and transvaginal ultrasound) in mid March this year. The pathologist was not able to confirm whether the cancer was stage 1 or stage 3 – as it depended on whether both tumours were primary and synchronous or whether the ovarian cancer had metastasized to the uterus. The cancer was also in Mum’s pelvic wash, but not in her lymph nodes.

She underwent a full hysterectomy a week after the diagnosis and has since been monitoring the cancer through CA 125 blood tests. When she was first diagnosed the number was in the hundreds and two months ago it was down to 11. Her doctor was thrilled and told Mum that was well within the normal range.

I hope that is helpful to your readers! Best wishes, Laura

• Chris Thomas says:

Dear Laura,
        That is fantastic news and should silence the sceptics! I wish you both well and will add your response on the original post.
        All the best
        Chris

11. faye says:

What about pancreatic cancer with metastasis to liver and lungs? My mum has it in the end stages and is currently following a strict regime of supplements and iv vit c.
    Is gerson therapy an option, I looked everywhere to see if Gerson will help mum but couldn’t find anything.
    All info and advice appreciated.
    This website is a real gem.
    thank you for continuing to offer hope in a hopeless world.

Hi Faye,

I’m so sorry to hear about your Mum. Where do you live? Is travel at all an option? The treatment that seems to offer the most positive results for those with multiple metastasis seems to be whole body hyperthermia. In the movie, Cancer is Curable Now, Dr Friedrich Douwes, the head of Klinik St Georg in Germany, talks about his success in treating cancer patients with metastases ‘in the bones, lungs and liver.’ You can see the video clip here. http://www.canceriscurablenow.tv/newsletter/hyperthermia-dleted-scene Since I’m only a journalist and not a practitioner I’m afraid not qualified to give any specific advice – I can only share what seems to be working for Mum. I’m wishing your Mum all the very best Faye, do stay in touch x

• faye says:

We live in Melbourne Australia. Mum has felt the aggressive opposition of trying the “alternative” route, from family, friends and medical professionals. Along with all the uncertainty and fear that comes with this illness it can sometimes make it hard to decide what may work for her and what to try.
        I am looking for positive outcomes specific to her cancer, not necessarily a cure (although that would be great) and am finding it really hard in relation to pancreatic cancer…there’s not much out there in the form of positive outcomes…everytime I find something new that offers a glimmer of hope I’m met with a brick wall, dead end.

Hope you and you’re mum are well, keep up the great work.

Faye

• donnella buxton says:

Hi Faye,
          look into LDN and Alpha Acid by Dr Burt Berkson I have found also a Dr in Canada that will do this treatment Dr Sean Ceaser Naturopathic Physician. Or you could try Greens Dispensary in Adeliade for LDN and ask What Doctor are perscribing it. But be very dilopmatic on your approach say you have MS? and need a doctor that will possible put you on the treatment. I found the use of LDN. Good Luck.
          Donnella

12. Pingback: A Kernel of Truth | Mum's Not Having Chemo

13. Pingback: Mum’s Supplements | Mum's Not Having Chemo

14. Pingback: The Cancer Fighting Mineral | Mum's Not Having Chemo

15. Pingback: The Curry Cure | Mum's Not Having Chemo

16. bill says:

This info can be extremely helpful for my wife you’re awesome.Keep up the great work

17. jennifer says:

After I came out with the news last June that a cancer doctor told me I had prostrate cancer and suggested a high frequency treatment that is not approved in America and could only be done in Mexico at the cost of $25,000, I immediately looked at alternatives. I contacted my nephew in Vancouver, who was about to become a doctor, and he suggested I meet with a Dr. Rick in Victoria, BC. That doctor changed my diet and put me on supplements, and within a year I brought my PSA numbers down drastically and eliminated the cancer threat. I also treated the condition with hemp oil (hash oil). With the diet, the supplements and the hash oil, plus a session with a world-renowned healer, Adam Dream-healer, I’m cancer-free. That’s right, I kicked cancer’s ass! So the magic plant does cure cancer with the right diet and supplements. I’m due for another blood test, MRI, etc., but I feel the best I’ve felt in years. And now for a celebration joint of the finest Kush
    for all cancer patient that live in Europe, America and Canada region, get your Hemp oil from: ricksimpsoncannabisoils@gmail.com or phoenixtearshempoils@outlook.com

Huge congratulations Jennifer! And thank you for sharing those details, I’m looking up Adam Dream-healer now too. Wishing you continued vibrant health x

18. Jindrich Bayer says:

Hello Everyone,

I know you all may have been wondering how to get a high grade hemp oil or cannabis oil that eradicate cancer and other chronic diseases easily, contact Rick Simpson organization now on any of the emails at: (ricksimpsoncannabisoil_phoenix@outlook.com)-(ricksimpsoncannabisoil_phoenixtears@outlook.com) or call +447031996738 for guide lines on how to make your own hemp oil that works speedily as Rick Simpson’s or place an order and have it delivered to your door step. Please stay as far away from streets oil for your own safety.

You can visit http://www.phoenixtearsplus.com/ http://www.phoenixtears.ca/

Thanks.
    Stay safe and God bless

19. Pingback: Meat, as bad as Cigarettes? | Laura Bond - Health Coach, Freelance Writer, and author of Mum's Not Having Chemo